Saturday, January 13, 2007

Your Family Tree


Earlier this year, out of sheer curiosity, I Googled my name to see what came up. I ended up finding my Family Tree. A woman named Toni Gumboc put up this site called the Pandan Family Tree Project (it was originally called the Zapanta Family Tree Project). Pandan, Antique is the area where my Mom came from. The site listed the descendants of Padre Mariano Vicente Zapanta, Cawayan, Inyawan and Tinawagan, and me, my dad and my brother were on the list. I was excited to find out about my ancestors. Turns out that I may have descended from an affair between a Spanish Governor-General's wife and a local on my mother's side. (The site had a very good story about it. Stuff of legend, I tell you.) The fact that one of my prime ancestors was a Priest somewhat confuses me though. (It would actually be funny if my ancestors were straight out of "Noli Me Tangere".) The thing is, all my life, I've always said I was pure "indio", that I was a pure Filipino native. Granted, my Spanish ancestors are from way back, but still. Turns out I was wrong! See, you never really know what you can find when you Google yourself. Unfortunately, right now the site is down. I'm trying to contact Toni and see if she can get her site back up.

No comments: